Monday, April 9, 2018
Ohio Schools: A noticeable change in time
We talk about cause and effect in school systems as if the system itself has no concept of the idea. They are above the idea that anything they cause will carry out such an effect that anyone would notice nor hold them accountable. This blog is based on interviews from many stand points in time with different people of many age groups, who lived and went to school in the state of Ohio.
1970's "High school was a waist of my time, I found it more valuable to quit school and get started on my career. I left school in 10th grade and started working as a EKG Specialist in a nearby Hospital. I received hands on training that made my life more exciting. The need to receive a Diploma was not really there back then. It felt like High School was just not going anywhere, learning nothing really and for me that was a waste of my time. As waste of any bodies time when you are as eager to learn a career field as I was. Others like me just dropped out and started successful careers. We had never heard of detentions, when kids were bad they got kicked out or they quit. Everyone that I knew got jobs and just left. Yes, we had knives and farm boys had guns in trucks setting in the parking lot. No we didn't have 'Tide Challenges', we had creek jumpin' and night swimming."
1980's "My Middle School was very fun, we had bullies but they didn't really matter among a group of friends. I remember watching bad choices being corrected by the teacher taking the offender out in the hall and spanking them. Afterwards, the rest of us would be wide awake ready to answer any question the teacher had to ask. I think now looking back, we as a group of kids learned respect not just for the teacher but for ourselves. When we acted out we were immediately corrected, we learned consequences for our actions back then and how to listen to others during their turn. Our drills were more towards bombs and earthquakes then terrorist. We did not have any work that needed completed at home nor did anyone know about detention. After school I would help mom with dinner and chores around the house; weekends were for friends."
1990's "High school was serious work, so many choices to choose as far as class' at times it could be overwhelming. Never once thought about killing my classmates, my parents at times sure, joking. By the time, I got to high school, spanking was illegal; leaving most of us unknown to that fact. Suspension and detentions were given for those who needed corrected, fighting or bullying for example. We had study halls for missing assignments or home studies. I took typing class and finances. Weekends I had time to spend with friends or family as I had a full time job and my own apartment by my senior year. We also had to pass a test to graduate, but some decided to drop out instead making a life on their own. By the time I graduated I had my own apartment in Grove City, Ohio with my longtime friend. He never graduated but he had a good paying job and could support himself. I owned my own car and had a full time job in town that allowed me to support myself. Bullying went on but not much other than teacher or counselor intervention with a detention or suspension if it persisted. I remember two bomb threats at high school. Girls that got themselves in a pregnant way were sent away or home schooled if the family could afford an abortion then they did. Boys still had rifles in back windows of trucks during hunting season, they were even allowed vacation days during gun season."
2000's "Being schooled online was fun, I learned so much and had fun doing so. Started my Freshmen year in a traditional country school system was ok, but I soon found myself not needing the necessary limitations that forced my mother into online school systems. I was no longer a child that needed Special class', I was ahead of my classmates in all things. Online I needed 990 hrs to move to the next grade level, here less than that but more forced. Teachers are rough to match the students, no respect not even for parents nor government. The biggest worry about school is being suspended for as little as a disagreement with staff. We received detentions for missing assignments, or even late ones. It is a strange punishment for something so meaningless."
2015's "High School is mandated, the courts will intervene if a child is not in school. Detentions are given for missed assignments or homework not turned in on time or not at all. It is a match of wits everyday between teachers and students. We have to graduate, if we choose to receive our GED we have to be of age 18, if anyone is younger they need parents reason prove the benefit of such a request. Really? We learn nothing but the repetition of past years classes mostly; education needs to get with the times. High school has no meaning, it is best to seek education in a local college or better yet a career with hands on training."
My experience, I have three children, most are graduating or have already graduated. I pulled them out when my son lost interest with learning, middle school. I was told from the school staff, who felt the need to hold a conference when told about my decision, "There is no curriculum that keeps them interested in learning, let alone combines class'. Maybe we need to look a the possibility it may be more of ADD or ADHD. Have you mentioned this to a physician?" Really? So I enrolled them into K-12 Public online system. I combined science, reading and math into one curriculum that kept my son's attention. I even find that now, more and more children are titled with ADD/ADHD before entering kindergarten. Why? Because the children care facility knows alot about these things correct? Years later, I re-enrolled them into a high school so they could continue with the social skills. They were ahead of their class, giving my first son the ability to sign himself OUT of IEP class. The principle called me at work and asked me how to do that, they have never had anything like that happen before. Imagine that "No" one has ever been signed off/out of their IEP. My other two went on to career academies, welding and criminal justice. My daughter graduates this year, my oldest is in the military and my middle son is employed.
Extra curricular activities and mandated useless classes are unnecessary in our day and technology age. Most of the things I learned in school they don't even teach anymore. Our school systems have gotten out of control with finding things to add that have no meaning but to keep funding hours 996 a school calendar year. Why? Children learn faster than ever before, they have more technology at their fingertips then my generation, no one helps out on the farm anymore so summer break is obsolete. With all these different points of view, we still have school that desperately needs a facelift. Coming together is one way to get the job done, the second would be taking back the control parents have lost in the past 20 years.
You can make your own conclusion as to what really needs to change in our public school systems. Would love to hear from your experiences past and present.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment